Growing up my favourite brownies were from a cake mix from the store.. better than any homemade. What a shame haha. Now that I figured out how to make these though – they win. Finally 🙂
Dense, chewy, chocolatey bites of indulgence
So these are really not sugar free 😉
But trust me you need this amount of sugar for the brownie to get this perfect chewy texture. With less sugar it will be more like a cake. Cake is fine.. but cake is no brownie.
Make them, share them and it won’t have been the last time ;
Best ever chewy brownies
- 1.5 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 130 g flour
- 150 g ground almonds
- 50 g cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (=natron bicarbonate)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 130 g dark chocolate
- 90 g vegan butter or margarine
- 365 g sugar
- 1 dl almond milk
- 65 g pecan nuts
- Mix the ground flax seeds with the water and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- Finely chop the chocolate and melt two thirds of it with the butter. It's quickest in a microwave but on a low heat in a pan works too.
- Stir the sugar, almond milk and soaked flax seeds into the melted chocolate and butter mixture.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix well. It will be very dry but that's what we're looking for!
- Chop the pecan nuts and mix them into the dough with the remaining chocolate bits.
- Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover it with parchment paper to spread the brownies out to their desired thickness (won't change with baking) using your hands.
- Bake the brownies at 180°C for 30 minutes. Then let them cool for 1.5 hours. I am sorry to say that having this patience is really important because else they won't hold together.
- Cut into your desired size and enjoy 🙂