Have you ever tried russian halva? If you haven’t you really shouldn’t wait any longer! It’s a sweet and ever so slightly savory paste made from sunflower seeds. And I’m ADDICTED! <3
You can eat that just as is or make the extra effort to get these beautifully indulgent chocolate pralines.
They surely won’t last long 🙂
- 360 g sunflower seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- 235 g sugar
- 4-5 tbsp water
- 400 g dark dairy free chocolate
- 5 tbsp blackcurrant jam
- Roast the sunflower seeds in a dry pan until they are golden and fragrant but not brown. Then blend them with the small pinch of salt until the mixture turns into an oily paste (scrape the sides of the blender again and again).
- Heat the sugar with the water until all the sugar grains are dissolved. The resulting syrup is probably boiling. Now add the syrup little by little to the sunflower paste while constantly stirring manually.
- Line a tray (approx. 20cm x 20cm) with parchment paper and tightly press the mixture into it and let it sit overnight. The pressed mixture should be approximately 1 cm high.
- Lift or flip the sunflower halva out of the tray, (if flipped remove the parchment paper) and gently smear the jam on top. Cut into bitesized squares.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Choose a large bowl so it can sit on the pan easily.
- Pick up piece for piece of the halva and dip it in the chocolate. Lift the covered pieces out with a fork and let the excess chocolate drip off into the bowl. Place the pralines on a rack to dry the chocolate before digging in 🙂